Tuesday 12 June 2012

Rumer - Boys Don't Cry

So, somehow I have managed to avoid anything involving Rumer up until this point. I don't know whether that was intentional, or whether it's because I have this strange innate habit of switching channels anytime something dreary that my nan might listen to comes onto Jools Holland.

'Boys Don't Cry' is the second album from Rumer coming after the highly successful 'Seasons of my Soul' and is a collection of (it's here that I shudder) covers of seventies songs. Now, to be honest the whole cover album thing isn't so bad, done to death yes, but if you do something new with the music and don't croon along like say Rod Stewart these days then you can get away with it - just. Okay, 'Boys Don't Cry' is hardly Rod Stewart churning milk from the cash cow, but at the same time it's so very safe, so very middle ground, and well, just so bloody nice that I honestly can't stand it.

Music is so bloody brilliant. It is able to empower people, change lives, excite and bring its listener to its knees. With 'Boys Don't Cry' Rumer is only doing one thing; lulling me to sleep.

2/5

www.rumer.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment